Your Money

The construction of the dams and modifications to Chippewa Creek and its tributaries through the Chippewa Watershed Project were funded through a federal program. Funding for the ongoing maintenance of the creek channel, flood control structures, banks and berms comes from an assessment of the properties within the Chippewa Subdistrict.

"Who paid for construction of this project?"
92% of the construction costs were paid with Federal funds while the remaining 8% were paid with local funds.

"Who pays for maintenance of this project?"
A maintenance assessment was established for all properties within the Chippewa Subdistrict for the operation and maintenance of the Chippewa Flood Control Project. Tax bills for all properties within the Subdistrict indicate the amount each property owner contributes towards this fund.

Assessment dollars are used for the following:

  • Removing trees, brush, and other obstructions which block or impede the flow of water along Chippewa Creek, Little Chippewa Creek and the River Styx.
  • Repairing erosion, slips, and channel bank failures.
  • Repairing and replacing drains, culverts, catch-basins, and gate structures (there are more than 600 of these types of structures along 33 miles of channel).
  • Removing sediment to restore flood storage capacity of the dams.
  • Mowing and maintaining dam slopes and surfaces.
  • Mowing and maintaining channel banks and access points.
  • Maintaining spillway systems and clearing debris that clogs spillway inlets.
  • Maintaining the dams in compliance with Ohio Dam Safety Regulations.
  • Educating and informing the community of the importance of the flood control measures and the Chippewa Flood Control System.