Creation of the Subdistrict
Citizens of the area recognized that floods would continue.
The Chippewa Subdistrict evolved through the efforts of many partnering
organizations, governmental entities, and citizen groups.
Between 1957 and 1960, the Wayne and Medina County Commissioners
and Soil Conservation Districts, along with the Muskingum Watershed
Conservancy District and 35 farm, industrial, municipal, recreational
and service groups worked together to submit an application to
the Soil Conservation Service for a feasibility study. The study
showed that a flood control project was economically feasible
and the Chippewa Creek Watershed Work Plan was completed in 1960.
Twenty-eight Wayne and Medina County citizens demonstrated their
commitment to the project by signing individual bank notes for
$20,500 to finance the Work Plan.
These citizens paid interest on the notes for 10 years and in
1970, when the notes were finally paid off, the signers received
95% of the money they had advanced.
Between 1963 and 1967, there were no funds available to pay the
$86,000 cost for the reappraisal until funds were secured from
Department of Natural Resources, the Wayne and Medina County
Commissioners, and the Packaging Corporation of America.
The reappraisal was made during 1967-1970 and filed and approved